If you are hoping to study in Saudi Arabia under the Saudi Arabia Scholarship 2022 scheme, then read this detailed guide to the Best Study in Saudi Arabia Scholarships opportunities.
The kingdom of Saudi Arabia has become one of the favorite destinations for students aspiring to acquire quality education abroad. This is partly because the kingdom has a comprehensive scholarship system which is described by many as the best in the world.
Here is a comprehensive guide to the Saudi Arabia Scholarship scheme as provided by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission
Overview of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia, officially known as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, is the largest Arab state in Western Asia by land area and the second-largest in the Arab world. It has the world’s largest oil reserves which are concentrated largely in the Eastern Province.
Oil accounts for more than 95% of exports and 70% of government revenue, although the share of the non-oil economy has been growing recently. This has facilitated the transformation of an underdeveloped desert kingdom into one of the world’s wealthiest nations.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is an Arab country located on the Persian Gulf and is the largest country in the Middle East, occupying 80 percent of the Arabian Peninsula. The country has borders with Iraq, Kuwait, Jordan, Yemen and Oman. Most of the country is desert or semi-desert, although the west coastline along the Red Sea has forested areas.
Saudi Arabia is best known as the birthplace of the prophet of Islam, Mohammed. Major cities in the country include Mecca and Medina, where millions of Muslim pilgrims visit each year. With 25 percent of the world’s oil reserves, the country is one of the wealthiest in the world and contains significant modern infrastructure. The currency is the Saudi Riyal.
CLIMATE: Saudi Arabia has mostly a desert climate, with high temperatures during the day and lower temperatures at night. In Riyadh, the average high is 43 degrees C and the average low is 29 degrees C in July, while the average high is 19 degrees C in January, with an average low of 11 degrees C. The record low in Riyadh is -1 degrees C and the record high is 53 degrees C.
CULTURE: Music and dance both have strong traditions in Saudi Arabia. The country’s national dance is Al Ardha and is a sword dance based on Bedouin traditions. Belly dancing for women is also very popular. Sports are also very popular, especially soccer and basketball.
COST OF LIVING: The cost of living in Saudi Arabia is fairly high. Even on a tight budget, a student will likely require at least $US 1,500 per month. Student visas do not grant employment rights.
VISA REQUIREMENTS: Students who are citizens of Gulf Cooperation Council nations do not need a visa to study in Saudi Arabia; however, all other students must have a visa. To apply for a visa, a student must have a recent police report and a medical report certifying the student has no contagious diseases.
ALSO READ: The Top 10 Best Universities in Saudi Arabia
Students with families must also provide marriage and birth certificates for family members. Students can apply for visas with the Saudi embassy or consulate in their home country. Once students have a visa, they should pay particular attention to expiration dates, as the Saudi system uses the lunar calendar instead of the Western solar calendar.
The Saudi Arabia Scholarship Scheme
The government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia offers scholarships every year to outstanding students from various countries of the world.
This comes in line with the growing attention and support given by the kingdom to the dissemination of knowledge and scientific research, as part of its multiple contributions to scientific and cultural communication world widely, in fostering of the advancement of human civilization.
Why study in Saudi Arabia.
There are so many reasons why distinguished and outstanding students like to study in Saudi Arabia. The reasons include:
- Saudi Arabia universities are renowned for their scientific excellence. Some of the Saudi universities are ranked among the top universities in the world in terms of research centers.
- Saudi universities provide excellent environments for academic research, through their well-equipped research centers.
- Diverse educational and cultural environments at Saudi universities. There are international students from more than 165 countries currently studying at Saudi universities. In addition to multinational academics and staff members who work at these universities.
- Saudi universities provide full and quality care for scholarship students.
Entry Requirements for Saudi Arabia Scholarship 2021
- The same admission requirements for Saudi students also apply to scholarship students at higher education institutions.
- Candidate’s age must neither be less than 17 years nor more than 25 years for undergraduate level and the Arabic Teaching Institute or its equivalent; 30 years for the Master’s and 35 years for the doctoral levels, respectively.
- Non-Saudi candidates must obtain approval of competent authorities in their countries if required there, for them to travel for study in Saud Arabia.
- The candidate must have not been granted a scholarship by another educational institution in Saudi Arabia.
- Certificates and credentials must be attested by the competent authorities determined by the educational institution.
- The candidate must have not been expelled from an educational institution in Saudi Arabia.
Benefits associated with the Saudi Arabia scholarship scheme
- Health care for you and your family members living with you in Saudi Arabia.
- Annual travel tickets.
- Financial stipends when you come to study and upon graduation.
- All benefits enjoyed by Saudi students at the same institution.
- A supervised unit at the educational institution, which provides services to scholarship students.
- Scientific, cultural, social, and media programs.
- Support from academic staff to obtain appropriate academic guidance and counseling.
- Incorporeal and material incentives for outstanding students.
How to apply for Saudi Arabia scholarship 2021
You can apply for the Saudi Arabia scholarship 2021 by applying directly to the university of your choice via its website (a list of Saudi government universities is provided hereunder).
Courses to study in Saudi Arabia
The Saudi scholarship allows you to study any discipline offered by the university you choose except medicine and health-related disciplines.
How to get more information about Saudi Arabia Scholarship 2021
Because each Saudi university has its regulations and conditions, the best way to gain more information about Saudi Arabia Scholarships is by visiting the website of the university you choose. Please search for contact info for the Office of Grants or Scholarships. SACM-Canberra can help you with general inquiries and main questions.
Links to government universities in Saudi Arabia:
Higher Education in Saudi Arabia
Higher education in Saudi Arabia is consistent with the US higher education system but modified to accommodate Islamic traditions and customs. The first university, King Saud University, was founded in Riyadh in 1957.
The Ministry of Higher Education oversees all higher education in the country, with a particular focus on scientific research at the government universities. More than 200,000 students are currently enrolled at Saudi universities and colleges; about half of the students are women.
The higher education system includes 21 government universities, 19 teacher’s colleges for men, 80 teacher’s colleges for women, 37 colleges and institutes for health, 12 technical colleges and 24 private universities and colleges.
Universities and colleges offer graduate programs that include both masters and doctoral degrees. Private universities and institutions are non-profit organizations that complement government universities. Most government universities are general universities, but some specialize in certain areas such as petroleum and health.
The first semester classes generally begin in early September and run through early December, followed by final exams. The second semester begins in early February and runs through early May, followed by final exams.